“The only way to consistently grow in B2B is to be better than very good.” – Seth Godin
But, how can you be better than good with your existing B2B marketing strategies?
You have to always be on your A-game in your marketing department so that you do not lose ground to the competition. This involves cash -B2B companies invest about 25% of their budget in their marketing. The effort is also high – founders and CEOs worry themselves sick to come up with ideas that will improve the age-old ways of promoting their business on social media platforms.
The question arises,
Do you really need to spend that time and effort to market your business or you should hire someone with the expertise and experience to handle that department?
Given that you are a founder or the CEO of a company, you will have a lot on your plate. You do need help.
So, should you hire an in-house team? Or appoint a reliable social media agency to take care of your marketing endeavours? Nowadays, when telecommuting or remote working has become quite a trend, you could also opt for freelancers to manage specific elements of your B2B marketing.
This post may help you determine the best possible choice by carefully evaluating the pros and cons of each.
Creating an In-House Marketing Department
In many cases, creating an in-house marketing department to handle your B2B marketing needs seems to be the best possible option you have.
Why is it so?
The main reason for hiring an in-house marketing team is sustained accessibility. You can turn to them as and when you please, get updates regularly, issue suggestions and hold discussions without any difficulty. While these are the ready advantages of an in-house team, some of the cons of hiring one are given below:
- Hiring expert marketers and building a team of skilled people requires a lot of time and investment.
- You have to take care of their needs and demands, manage them, sustain them, and keep them challenged and engaged. Most importantly, you will have to keep them busy at all times.
- The amount of financial investment will increase when you expand the team and include senior executives.
- The cost will keep escalating as from time and again, you have to think about promotions and increments, especially if your team turns out to be the best and are successful in taking the business to the next level.
- Hiring an in-house marketing team will increase the operating expenses.
- Lastly, there’s no real guarantee that you will be able to hire the best in each functional area. That means your marketing efforts may end up being only as good as the weakest link.
If you think you can manage the time and financial investment of building your own marketing team, and that you will always have enough work to keep those dedicated people well and good! However, if you have your doubts, you can always hire the best social media marketing agency instead.
Hiring a Social Media Marketing Agency
Now, if you hire a social media agency, you will not have to deal with the issues highlighted above. You can tap into their specific areas of expertise, according to your unique B2B marketing requirements. You can take their help to define a robust strategy that includes the latest and most innovative methods. Once you agree on the way forward, you can leave the rest of the task to them. However, you do need to maintain a regular connect with the agency to keep track of progress.
- When you appoint a social media agency to take care of your B2B marketing needs, you will rest assured that your business is in expert hands.
- If you think that a marketing agency is not being able to deliver according to your expectations, you can always opt for the next best one in the industry. It is way easier than dissolving your entire in-house marketing department to create a new one.
- Most of the time, outsourcing your marketing endeavours results in pulling together a group of experienced people, who are experts in their fields and are capable of improving areas you may never have thought of.
- No training is required to make them understand your needs. Their discovery processes will ensure they capture the most relevant information.
- The best social media marketing agencies have the latest tools at their own disposal, which they will use while handling your B2B marketing
- You have to hunt down the best possible social media agency from among the various options available. It’s sometimes hard to know which agency has real skills and which is just talking a good game.
- It may not always be possible to build a partner relationship within your budget.
- You will need to give the agency some time to understand your specific needs as well as your market niche.
- Accessibility becomes an issue at times when you need to make an urgent connection but you find that you are unable to reach your partner.
In the case of hiring a reliable social media agency to handle your company’s marketing responsibilities, the inherent benefits, of course, outweigh the cons if your need is to drive a contained but high-quality and sustained marketing strategy.
Hiring a Freelancer for Your B2B Marketing Needs
Most of the time, a company will hire a freelancer to handle specific elements of B2B marketing, if it is new and in no condition to invest realistically in promotion and marketing. Hiring freelancers is often more inexpensive than hiring a social media marketing agency. Generally, start-ups and mid-level organisations will opt for a freelancer, or a group of individuals working as freelancers, to handle their marketing needs -often to get things off the ground.
- The freelancers are always on their toes to impress you and get your feedback, which they may be able to use to expand their network.
- They are way less expensive than reputable marketing agencies
- In the case of a single freelancer, communication gets easier, as you have to contact only one person for all your needs.
- If there is any issue, only one person will be accountable for the same, and amendment will be easier.
- Freelancers are not bound to anyone or any particular company. They have a number of clients to attend to, and you may not be their only focus area.
- You cannot blame a freelancer entirely, as they have no contractual agreement with you. They are sometimes hard to pin down and it’s not unknown for freelancers to vanish halfway through the effort.
- Communication can get difficult if the particular individual is unprofessional, ill-equipped or dishonest. They may only concentrate on taking your money without providing results.
Therefore, if you wish to hire a freelancer, you should do considerable background research on the person before letting him/her in on your marketing team. That will help you filter out cheats and frauds to some extent.
In short, the choice that you have to make solely depends on your business needs, and your budget. Of course, if marketing is strategic for your organisation, you should probably hire a social media agency to handle all business to business marketing needs of your company. In case you are an early-stage start-up, get a freelancer to work for your initial needs. However, if you believe that the volume of work will be large enough, you can create an in-house marketing team. It’s what works for you that matters!
No comment yet, add your voice below!